Tenant Rights & Responsibilities
You have the right to:
- Apply for assistance.
- Expect the Macon Housing Authority to accept your application promptly (provided applications are open).
- Have assistance programs explained and your questions answered by an MHA employee.
- Receive assistance, once you are deemed eligible, and advance to the top of the waiting list.
- Request an appeal hearing if you disagree with any action of the MHA.
- Confidential treatment of your private information.
- Receive services, if eligible, regardless of your race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, creed, mental or physical disability, or financial or familial status.
- Continued assistance, once you are accepted as long as you are eligible.
- Prompt and courteous service anytime you contact the MHA.
- Have safe, decent, and sanitary housing if you receive assistance.
It is your responsibility to:
- Provide complete and accurate information.
- Accurately complete the application and provide additional information as required within ten days.
- Ask questions if you do not understand something about the program.
- Respond promptly to any correspondence from the MHA.
- Provide any evidence or changes in the family situation to substantiate your claim.
- Not discuss your participation in the program with anyone except family and appropriate agencies.
- Cooperate with MHA employees to include, but not limited to, inspectors, maintenance and office personnel.
- Report for and participate in annual recertification, as required.
- Be prompt and cooperative, and extend the same courteous attitude.
- Maintain all utilities in your unit (unless owner provided) and maintain your unit as safe, decent, and sanitary housing.